Forum Themes:
Welcome !

versatility and economics- important to you?

Erika Froese

• Total Posts : 97
  • Reward points : 152
versatility and economics- important to you? Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:18 PM (permalink)
In the ideal cloth diapering world All In Ones are what we would all strive to use. Nothing to pin, nothing to stuff, nothing to fold, no separate cover. It is just as easy to use as a disposable diaper.
So why would we consider anything but All In Ones or Pocket Diapers ('one step' combined diaper and cover systems) where, for convenience, the diaper and cover are attached?
Well, economics and versatility are few things you may want to take under consideration when choosing whether a 'one step' type system is right for you:

Economics:

If we separate the absorbent diaper (by this we refer to any form of absorbent component- (fitted diapers, diaper inserts, prefolds, liners, boosters, etc) from its cover we can reduce the cost of the overall system. Diaper covers, when not attached to their absorbent part, are usually reusable. So, all you need to change is the absorbent part. You reuse the cover. Economically, this is much more cost effective as you only need one cover for every 4-6 absorbent diapers.
Diaper covers whether attached to the absorbent component or separate, as with a fitted diaper and cover, are the weakest link in any diapering system. See http://www.mother-ease.co...iapers-leak-m1657.aspx

Versatility:

Washability- Diaper covers, when attached to the absorbent part, often dictate how your diapers can be washed. Many diaper cover fabrics used in the industry do not withstand hot water washing. Hot water washing is a requirement in keeping diapers clean and fresh smelling. Detergents perform better in hot water. To kill bacteria wash water must be at least 50°C. Manufacturers making 'one step' diapers are detergent specific and warranties are not covered when specific washing instructions are not followed.
Bleaching- For various reasons many parents like to occasionally bleach their diapers. Bleaching disinfects. When the cover is attached to the diaper this is not an option as most diaper covers will not withstand bleaching.
Times when bleaching is a nice option:
A child has suffered from a rash and parents want to ensure the diaper will not re infect the child.
Diapers are excessively stained.
Diapers have a lingering odour or don't seem clean
Passing diapers to a friend or receiving diapers from a friend.
Want to sell them

Leakage- Diapers are starting to leak and you don't know why.
See http://www.mother-ease.co...iapers-leak-m1657.aspx
Since diaper covers are the weakest link in your diapering system, the most economical way to make them leakproof again is to replace the leaky cover. This can only be done if the two components are separate. Replacing just the cover will make your leaky diaper brand new again!

Although “one step” style diapering systems are wonderful and easy to use, as you can see, when you consider both economics and versatility, using a separate diaper and cover system makes a lot of sense.

Written by Erika Froese
co- owner of ME cloth diapers with over 30 years of experience in use and design. The only proven source for expertise relating to the use, care and design of cloth diapers.

For comments and additional questions either post them here, send us a FB message, email [link=mailto:diapers@mother-ease]diapers@mother-ease[/link] or try our new live chat.

Motherease the only diaper experts.

aavt

• Total Posts : 106
  • Reward points : 91
Re:versatility and economics- important to you? Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:28 PM (permalink)
And if you're in it for environmental reasons, the idea of using fewer covers overall is important--as is being able to replace only what's needed for a smaller environmental footprint (not that I had to replace anything; my ME covers stood up through two kids and are still hustling for my sister!).

12Blessings

• Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 8
Re:versatility and economics- important to you? Friday, July 12, 2013 3:42 PM (permalink)
I too think separate is better, and I have tried them all, seems to get cleaner, plus you can reuse the cover and also switch cover options, like wool for more breatablity or those very sensitive children.  You can really throw separate systems through  a more thorough wash routine.

12Blessings

• Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 8
Re:versatility and economics- important to you? Friday, July 12, 2013 3:54 PM (permalink)
Oh and for economic reasons as you mentioned I do like the separate system to.  Plus on certain days you can just let the children run around in the diaper with liner and no cover and gives the bottom even more breath time, especially on hot humid days.  

aavt

• Total Posts : 106
  • Reward points : 91
Re:versatility and economics- important to you? Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:38 PM (permalink)
And that reminds me of another reason for separates--when my boys were PTing, we used OS, first with covers, and then without, rather than undies at first.  They slow down pee accidents, and are waaay easier to clean up for poop accidents.  Just very absorbant, snapping undies!
<message edited by aavt on Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:39 PM>

Meisiu

• Total Posts : 66
  • Reward points : 166
Re:versatility and economics- important to you? Saturday, January 18, 2014 11:48 PM (permalink)
What would be the difference between bleach and vinegar? I have noticed DS had few diaper rashes whereas DD had more so I'm not sure if it's because she was the 2nd to use the CDs or if diaper rashes are just dependent on the kid. I've done a few vinegar rinses on my CDs to get rid of ammonia smell but wonder if I should try bleach sometime. Also, I noticed that cleaning the front loader with Affresh regularly helps the CDs smell better too!

Erika Froese

• Total Posts : 97
  • Reward points : 152
Re:versatility and economics- important to you? Monday, January 20, 2014 11:07 AM (permalink)
Chlorine bleach is a disinfectant and is used during the wash cycle.  White vinegar is a mild acid and may be used during the rinse cycle.  It balances the waters PH levels.  In some cases it may help prevent mild skin irritations.

Different children will respond independently to their cloth diapers.  One child may be more sensitive than the other in the same family.  There are many factors that influence rash including diet, illness, teething and most certainly unclean diapers.

Washed diapers should not smell of ammonia.  If they smell anything other than clean following a wash cycle, the laundering procedure needs to be reviewed and adjusted.  There are a number of great articles on this forum that will help diagnose any problems.

It is always a good practice to clean any appliance.  Your washer must be left open between uses.  The detergent dispensing tray needs to be left open and cleaned on a regular basis to prevent mould from forming and the gasket needs to be wiped regularly with a clean cloth (whether using cloth diapers or not).

Cloth diapers should smell clean following a wash cycle regardless of the (reasonable) cleanliness of the machine, and the machine should smell clean following a complete wash cycle.  

Erika Froese 
co- owner of ME cloth diapers with over 30 years of experience in use and design. The only proven source for expertise relating to the use, care and design of cloth diapers. 

For comments and additional questions either post them here, send us a FB message, email diapers@mother-ease.com or try our live chat. 

catherine_alison

• Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 1
Re:versatility and economics- important to you? Monday, May 26, 2014 8:48 AM (permalink)
The two steps involved in putting on a One-Size diaper and an Airflow cover sounded like a bigger deal to me before I started cloth diapering.  Now I find it quick and easy, and incredibly economical, given that my diapers have gone through three babies, and will probably still be sellable when I'm done.  I found I needed 4 AF covers per size.  I also opted not to cloth diaper very small babies.  I started at 10 lbs, because babies grow so quickly at the beginning and you don't get as much use out of the smaller size.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message